Friday, September 21, 2012

Post September 16 meeting comments

I am not sure about yesterday’s meeting at the church. I am not sure about a “discernment committee”. I have a cautious wait and see attitude. I can’t help but believe something is up a sleeve and all of this was window dressing. “Steve, stop being a pessimist: negative, negative, negative”. I’ve have very good reasons. Several very good reasons. I will say I did have fun last night. I said all I intended to say. And I am not alone. A charter member said we needed to stop the bleeding. She had no clue who I was or what I was going to do.
Six question were asked in 20 small groups. I did respond to most of the questions. Here is my response to the first three.

Question #1 What is Klein good at?

Simple, missions. The children’s programs are much much better than they have been over the past two years. On the second floor last Sunday where the choir room is, there were several children. I was a very great feeling. We are getting there. Most of the parts are in place and time will only tell. “What do you mean Steve”. I just remember going back when the entire week day ministries suite was filled to capacity and we had trouble find Sunday School teachers. I remember Wesley Hall full wall to wall kids that did not what to leave kid's church.

Question #2 What does it mean, “To go out to be God’s people in the world”?

It is to be the best example of Christ that I can be. Oh boy do I fall short. But that means to smile and greet a stranger. You might be the only person in that person’s day. To show my kid’s I am an example of a person of faith, and a believer. Oh boy do I fall short. But I want my kids to understand it has been a long difficult journey to know Christ. It is like any relationship. It is a commitment. All relationships have difficulties but don’t dwell on them. All relationship have to be maintained. A well maintained relationship is so worth the reward.

Question #3 What is the most radical idea would you have for KUMC?

I was a trustee. During some meetings, we would tour the buildings. During the tour, one trustee asked a participate, “What would you do to make KUMC better?” The answer was, “Tear it down”. And I said, “Amen”. I didn’t look up after I said it. We are driving a Model T. I would like a 2013 model. “But Steve we started here in a pasture 35 years go?” Champion Forest Baptists church did it. Windwood Presbyterian moved. It is not an uncommon practice. Build to a size we can sustain today. Grow as needed. How much is that land worth to Home Depot, H.E.B, Target? It kills me to see other churches in the area expand as we dwindle. New dynamic plans and architecture. The flip side is we are in the best place on the block. If you go to a town and are hungry, are you going to Chilies where 10 cars are parked or to the “dive” where there’s no parking to be found because they are full, at 3:00 in the afternoon?

Next very important meeting, as I understand, check your bulletin at the church, is the church council meeting this Monday, September 24. Let's put 240 people in the room.

More to come... Pass this web address along. Also Facebook "Keeping Klein". Share the ideas. All may comment. Prove me wrong somebody. Pray hard and live free in God's loving arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment